From H&S to Environment
Related online learning materials
In Environmental Practioner Programme..
Hazards Risk Assessment
Environmental Risk Assessment..
"What issues/skills are common/different between H&S and the Environment?"
We are the going to use our experience of H&S/Hazards risk assessments, to carry out an assessment of Environmental Impacts or Environmental Risk Assessment (ERA). This is how...
1. Exchange the word 'hazards' with 'impacts'
2. Examine Work functions: Look at how various functions of H&S organisation may translate to the Environment. We have a Health and Safety Drag n Drop Activity. Have a play with the various functions - all taken from vocationally related qualification (below). How do these functions correspond with those for the Environment? Try our Environmental Drag n Drop, by moving the functions around so that you can see how the various functions may relate with each other.
3 Change H&S Standards to Environment National Occupational Standards (NOSs)
There are National Occupational Standards( Developed by Sector Skills Councils), for Health and Safety. They are ENTO National Occupational Standards (pdf) You can change "health and safety" to "environment". Unit HSS 7 mentions "the environment" - this could be replaced by "sustainability". For details of how ENTO H&S NOSs translate to Environment
The advantage of doing this is that it sets us up well so we can then use all the lessons we have learnt for good H&S - eg organisation, consultation and negotiation, and apply to the environment. This is not to say that the two issues are the same.
3. NOS Unit for H&S Risk Assessment
There are National Occupational Standards (NOSs) that outline the competencies required to carry out a H&S tasks, such as Risk Assessment. They are:
4. H&S Risk Assessment Qualification at Level 3.
Qualifications are developed from NOSs (by Awarding Bodies). Level 3 is for employees with the freedom to move and who have quite well developed skills of analysis and assessment. This includes supervisors, skilled workers and union representatives. We can transfer our hazards risk assessment skills - working out the likelihood and severity of damage, and apply this to environmental impacts - whether to land, air or water.
5. H&S RA Learning Outcomes translate for the Environment
6. Wider H&S & Environment Matrix of skills. H&S is influenced by legal requirements with Environment skills determined more by Environmental Management Standards. See H,S & E Matrix explaining the relationship between H&S skills and Environment skills...leading to sustainability skills
|Copyright Environmental Practice at
Work Publishing Company Ltd (c) 2008
Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License