|Calculate first your own emissions relating to either you domestic arrangements oranother
Complete a table showing what energy comes in , what it is used for, and wastes out, together with the quantities used. Example:
|What energy comes in?
||What is it used for?
||What does it emit?
||Quantity used / quarter
||Transport, process use
||CO2 SO2 etc
Measure electricity used and note the source
Get in touch with your electricity supplier and ask what % of their supply is:
- generated by wind or other renewable source (sold as green energy and part of the Renewable Obligations within the UK)
- from coal/oil fired power generator
Next you need to look beyond the gate at what comes in as supplies of raw materials, components, and services; also what wastes and products go out.
Our Toolkit sets out of steps to count carbon - both internally and externally in organisations. See how this fits with International Business Standards for GHG Reporting
Use the energy calculations to estimate carbon dioxide emissions where you work, using one of the following:
Hierachy of Carbon Control says to deal with carbon in the following order:
1. Reduce emissions at source. Quite simply reduce the energy going in, by insulation, cladding, improving efficiency/
2. Once escaped, use Carbon Capture & Storage. This is where carbon dioxide is captured from the air (near say a power station) and stored, usually in natural storage facilities like old gas fields. But fossil fuels are being extracted and burnt today with no CCS. Also the technology only works for power stations and large processes, not cars, planes and heating systems. Further the technology may never be available...and it is expensive.
3. If it isnot possible to capture, the nest best option is to sequestrate. Carbon sequestration is the processes of removing carbon from the atmosphere in order to help mitigate global warming. Sequestration is a new technology and a variety of ways of artificially capturing and storing carbon are being explored. Research is ongoing to find ways of enhancing natural sequestration processes. More on Sequestration
4. The worsat way to deal with carbon is to offset. Carbon offset is the act of reducing or avoiding Green House Gas (GHG) emissions in one place in order to "offset" GHG emissions occuring elswhere. Because GHGs mix well in the atmosphere, it doesn't matter where that mitigation occurs. More on Offsetting